Re: Accidental and clef change issue

From: Patrick McCarty
Subject: Re: Accidental and clef change issue
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 15:40:45 -0800

On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 1:28 PM, Michael Ellis
<address@hidden> wrote:
> The Dover Edition of the Beethoven Sonatas, a reproduction of the 1923
> Universal Edition (H. Schenker, ed.) has the attached in opus 27, no 2,
> second movement (Presto Agitato) mm 54,55.
>
> In the left hand of mm 54, the clef changes 4 times (bass, treble, bass,
> treble).  The movement is in E major. There is a natural sign on the A
> immediately after the clef change.  It's not clear, though, whether it's
> there to cancel the sharp on the space (implied by the preceding C-sharp in
> the bass clef) or whether it's simply a courtesy accidental that corresponds
> to the one in the right hand.  I think it's most likely the latter.

I agree that it's the latter case.

This movement is (normally) performed at a very fast tempo where the
time difference between the A sharps and A naturals is about one
second (maybe less).  The courtesy accidentals are lifesavers,
especially if you are sight reading the movement at tempo.  ;)

Not related to your observation per se, but the movement is actually
in C-sharp minor.

Thanks,
Patrick