Re: \underline in lyrics

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: \underline in lyrics
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2010 18:22:33 +0100

Am Donnerstag, 30. Dezember 2010, um 18:02:25 schrieb Federico Bruni:
> If you want a continuous line you should put the text inside "".

I don't think that's what Nikolay actually wants. I think he wants the exact
opposite: He wants to underline several consecutive syllables (assigned to
several consecutive notes), without having to wrap each of the syllables in
\markup{\underline ...}.

AFAICS, that's currently not possible in LilyPond, since the \underline
command does not set some font property, but rather explicitly constructs a
line with the extents of the given markup.

Cheers.
Reinhold

PS: Actually, re-reading his request again, I think what he really wants is to
underline several syllables of several notes, but all in one go, i.e. the
underline line should not be broken, but span several syllables.

As each syllable is a markup on its own, this could only be properly
implemented by a spanner, so one would need to write a dedicated engraver for
underlined lyrics...