Re: Invitation to connect on LinkedIn

From: James Bailey
Subject: Re: Invitation to connect on LinkedIn
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2010 19:14:35 +0100

On Dec 30, 2010, at 8:59 AM, David Kastrup wrote:

> What's up with the recent bout of "social networking" address
> harvesters?  Are there real persons stupid enough to send "invitations"
> to all their contacts including mailing lists?  If so, one really should
> pull their internet licenses.
>
> --
> David Kastrup

I find this comment completely inappropriate. It's fine if you think it. It's
fine to share this thought with your friends. But to attempt to
passive-aggressively insult someone because you don't agree with something
they've done, about something which is at best unimportant, and at worst
annoying is extremely poor form. What dialogue do you hope to have arise out of
this discussion? If you want to say, "I think a linkedin invitation to everyone
on the mailing list is inappropriate" then do so, publicly or privately. But
insults are as insulting to the person who makes a baseless one as to the
person being insulted.

In the future, if you think something is inappropriate, say so. Don't iinsult
someone because you think something they've done is inappropriate, that's just
impolite.

In other words:

Anyone who's lived to an age where they can communicate via email and hasn't
learned, "if you don't have something constructive to say, don't say anything
at all" needs to go back to kindergarten and learn how to play with the other
kids.