Re: A small but vexing problem (fermatas in several voices)

From: Michael J. O'Donnell
Subject: Re: A small but vexing problem (fermatas in several voices)
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2010 15:44:30 -0600

In similar situations, I like to create LilyPond variables whose values are the notes only for each part, and a separate variable whose value is the expressive marks that go on all parts together, including fermatas, dynamic markings, ...

Then, I can create a full score with the expressive marks presented only once, and individual parts with the expressive marks.

Annoyance: the expressive part needs skips of the durations corresponding to the notes in between the expressive marks. Someday, I hope that LilyPond will have the facility to mark temporal points in various parts so that they can be aligned without counting out the beats correctly in each one. This would be structurally analogous to the use of TABs in a single line of typed material, but it would not be associated with lines of music, rather with entire scores.

Cheers,

Mike O'D.