Re: Clarification of Gregorian Chant terminology

From: Frauke Jurgensen
Subject: Re: Clarification of Gregorian Chant terminology
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2010 21:51:59 +0000

I think the trouble is a mixing of terminology:

"ligatures" is being used as a lilypond term to cover
multi-note-symbols of various types of early notation, regardless of
terms used in palaeography for that type of notation. It seems logical
to use this one term for things that behave similarly...but perhaps it
needs to be clarified that this is a lilypondian generalisation?

"Gregorian" is being used as a lay-man's label specifically for square
notation, and it seems to me that if we're going to get specific about
compound neumes vs. ligatures, we also need to be specific about the
kind of notation...

Not sure if that makes any kind of sense...

regards,
Frauke