Re: Solfege Resources -- 404 bach chorales in Lilypond format with Movab

From: Phil Hézaine
Subject: Re: Solfege Resources -- 404 bach chorales in Lilypond format with Movable Do solfege.
Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2011 12:44:37 +0100

Le 01/01/2011 23:30, Graham Percival a écrit :
> On Sat, Jan 01, 2011 at 10:08:38PM +0100, Phil Hézaine wrote:
>> Moreover, there are chorals which aren't changed from the Public Domain.
>> I've checked some of it against my sources. Well, only a little bit.
>> And i'm not sure of the data integrity of her typesetting.
>
> Interesting.
>
>> Then, why to claim a clause of copyright non-commercial without arguments?
>
> Well, if she made any editorial changes, the result is not in the
> public domain.  Arguably, even simply making unintentional "data
> entry" changes could be enough for the result to be under
> copyright.
>
>> What a shame that Margaret Gentree is not on this list. We could have a
>> better understanding. Are Barenreiter or Musica Budapest's sources
>> closed?
>
> Unless they created an "urtext" edition, then yes, the notes and
> markings are under copyright.  Even if they created an "urtext"
> edition, the actual layout of music on the page is under
> copyright.  In the latter case, typing the notes into a text file
> (for processing with lilypond) does not infringe copyright,
> whereas making a photocopy would infringe.
>
>> Could we use her work in a GNU app like GNU Solfege without
>> infringements between the GPL and her license?
>
> No.  GPL does not allow you to play additional restrictions on the
> distribution of material; the CC-NC has an extra restriction ("no
> commercial use").
>
>> For now I plan to publish the 371 chorals from Breitkopf with a Free Art
>> license,
>
> Have you checked that the Breitkopf edition is free from
> copyright?  Mutopia has a good short discussion about this:
> http://www.mutopiaproject.org/contribute.html
>
> Cheers,
> - Graham

Thanks for the informations, Graham, it's always useful.
The handy sources i have are exactly the same you find on ISMLP:

> http://imslp.org/wiki/Chorale_Harmonisations,_BWV_1-438_%28Bach,_Johann_Sebastian%29

Rédacteur:
Johann Philipp Kirnberger
Carl Philipp Emanuel Bach

Édition:
Leipzig: Breitkopf und Härtel, n.d.[1878]. Plate V.A. 10
Droit d'auteur: Public Domain

Notes:
Based on 1st edition (Leipzig: Breitkopf, 1784–1788)
2 staves, without lyrics

I think I'm right.
However I add in my typesetting the BWV references and the corrected
titles (there are a lot) from jsbchorales, and i point out the chorales
in duplicate.
Yes, in fact there are not 371 chorales in this edition!
Off course, I'll mention the origin of my references in my final work. I
think there is no copyright issue about their catalogue.
Am i wrong?

If you check the second chorale from the Breitkopf's edition against the
jsb sources (BWV 347) you'll see no difference.
The first chorale (BWV 269) has just a missing tie for the alto, 5 bars
before the end.
I don't say that to pull down the work of Margaret Gentree, it will be
ridiculous, far away of my wish, just to point out you can find chorales
of the Public Domain. Checking the whole stuff is not my purpose and may
be irrelevant for now.
Cheers.