More space between notes

From: Lutz Gehlen
Subject: More space between notes
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 05:03:11 +1300

Hello everybody,
I am not only new to this list, but also to lilypond. I fear that my
question might have been asked many times before, but I didn't find
the answer on the net or in the list archives, so I hope someone
will be willing to help me.

I would like to globally increase the space between notes. Here is
my lilypond code which is translated into
o_du_froehliche_minimal.pdf (attached).

----

\version "2.12.3"
\layout {
  indent = #0
}

melody = \relative c'' {
  \clef treble
  \key c \major
  \time 4/4

  g2 a g4. f8 e4 (f)
  g2 a g4. f8 e4 (f)
  g2 g a b4 c
  b2 a g2. r4

  d4. (e8) d4 e f4. (g8) f2
  e4. (f8) e4 f g4. (a8) g2

  c4 (b) a (g) c a g f
  e2 d c1

  \bar "|."
}

text = \lyricmode {
  O du fröh -- li -- che, __
  o du se -- li -- ge, __
  gna -- den -- brin -- gen -- de
  Weih -- nachts -- zeit!

  Welt ging ver -- lo -- ren,
  Christ wird ge -- bo -- ren,

  freu -- e, __ freu -- e dich, o
  Chri -- sten -- heit!
}

\score {
  <<
    \new Voice = "one" { \melody }
    \new Lyrics \lyricsto "one" \text

  \layout { }
}

----

I would like to change the space between the notes such that the
result rather looks like in o_du_froehliche_stretched.pdf (also
attached). I have found the hint on the net to insert some code into
the layout section such that the score section looks like

\score {
  <<
    \new Voice = "one" { \melody }
    \new Lyrics \lyricsto "one" \text

  \layout {
    \context {
      \Score
      \override SeparationItem #'padding = #0.2

However, this does not seem to change anything even if I
dramatically increase the value. I would be very grateful for a
hint.

Thanks a lot and best wishes
Lutz