Re: Accidental and clef change issue

From: James Bailey
Subject: Re: Accidental and clef change issue
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2011 00:35:11 +0100

On Dec 28, 2010, at 11:53 AM, Xavier Scheuer wrote:

Hi!

This has been reported on the French user mailing list.

In the following code the c-natural is not printed if there is a clef
change in the middle of the measure.

\relative c' {
 \clef bass cis2 c
 \clef tenor cis2 \clef bass c  % natural is not printed!!
 \clef bass cis2 \clef tenor c
}

I do not know what say references like Ross, Read about this but I do
not think this should be the correct behaviour.
IMHO this is not what a musician (and a user) expect:
if we have a c-sharp and then a c-natural (at the same octave)
_in the same measure_, then the natural __MUST__ be printed!
This is also against what is said in the regtest
‘accidental-clef-change.ly’: Accidentals are reset for clef changes
(note that this regtest works fine but the reported code does not).

Could you investigate this?
Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Xavier

PS: The only "simple" workaround is to use
 #(set-accidental-style 'piano)

--
Xavier Scheuer <address@hidden>

It seems, at least according to section 1.1.3 on accidentals, that this is intended behavior:
default

This is the default typesetting behavior. It corresponds to eighteenth-century common practice: accidentals are remembered to the end of the measure in which they occur and only in their own octave. Thus, in the example below, no natural signs are printed before the b in the second measure or the last c: