Re: Completely separating notation from output logic

From: Michael Ellis
Subject: Re: Completely separating notation from output logic
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 22:32:46 -0500

Thanks Graham, I did use python to generate the first set of files
and, being fairly expert with it, python is always my weapon of
choice.  The limitation I see in this case is trying to support a
minimal input format for contributors to use. I was able to make it
work for the Greentree files because MuseScore emitted voice name
variables with a recognizable pattern e.g.  "AAvoiceBA = \relative c''
{" and always ended the music with a closing "}"  on a line by itself,
and so forth.

I don't want to burden contributors with anything that rigid and I
don't want to write a python parser for LilyPond syntax or even adapt
the one that comes with Frescobaldi.  That would feel like hunting
flies with an elephant gun.

Hence the reluctant decision to handle it in Scheme.  I did find a
thread from 2008 between Reinhold K., Han-Wen, and Nicolas S, but they
are operating with pretty high-level knowledge of Lily internals.  It
would be nice to find a well-documented solution that didn't require
combing through the Lily sources.  I'll keep looking.  This can't be
that hard to do, right?

Cheers,
Mike