Re: Solfege Resources -- 404 bach chorales in Lilypond format with Movab

From: Mark Austin
Subject: Re: Solfege Resources -- 404 bach chorales in Lilypond format with Movable Do solfege.
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2011 09:58:10 +0000

On 4 January 2011 09:17, Graham Percival <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 03, 2011 at 01:28:29PM -0500, Michael Ellis wrote:
>>  I've also
>>    added a couple paragraphs explaining my understanding of U.S. copyright
>>    law and urging users to accept the CC license with commercial restriction
>>    in honor of Margaret GreenTree's patient labor while acknowledging that
>>    patient labor in itself may not create copyrightable work and therefore
>>    offering also the Free Art option.
>
> I think you are wrong.  I think that this Margaret person has
> created works that are under copyright, and you are taking those
> works and claiming to offer them under a license that she did not
> consent to.
>
>>    I've still not heard from her.  Hopefully she's just on vacation and will
>>    eventually reply.
>
> A lack of response should never be construed as permission to do
> whatever you want.
>
> - Graham

A quick comment.There are two (linked) types of copyright. If you
originate a work - in this context compose some music - you have
copyright control over any production of that work. Once that
copyright has lapsed, a third party can reproduce the work in, for
example, a book. They then get typograpghical copyright: which means,
in effect, that you cannot reproduce the book, but you could reset the
music into a work of your own. For music, there is a further
complication. If someone arranges music, e.g. by adding chords, they
gain a copyright on the arrangement, but not on the original music.
For example, I am produciong a book of tradition British folk tunes
from a music worksshop some years go. The tunes are traditional, and
thus out of copyright, but the chords/arrangements are copyright, and
I had to get permission from the family.

--
Mark Austin

For Whigs admit no force but argument