Re: do narrow and bold-narrow font-series exist? How can i squish Lyrics

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: do narrow and bold-narrow font-series exist? How can i squish Lyrics horizontally?
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 00:30:00 +0100

2011/1/10 Alexander Kobel <address@hidden>:
> On 2011-01-10 22:01, Janek Warchoł wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> according to internals
>> (http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13/Documentation/internals/lyrictext)
>> there is something like "bold-narrow" font-series. However the
>> following snippet doesn't work as expected - ?
>
> Hi, Janek,
>
> the point is that the default font Century Schoolbook (at least in the
> free version shipped with LilyPond and usual Unices) just does not offer
> a narrow face, so LilyPond (or Pango) falls back to the regular variant.
> I don't know too many free fonts that do, with DejaVu Serif being a
> notable exception.  And most others that come with a condensed variant,
> like e.g. the Switzera (some free Helvetica clone from Arkandis) or
> GoudyBookletter1911, don't support the 'narrow selection, but rather
> have a special font name for the variant.
> Unfortunately it's not currently possible to specify, say, #"Switzera
> ADF" as 'sans 'regular, #"Switzera ADF Light Cd" as 'sans 'narrow, and
> #"Switzera ADF Cd" as 'sans 'bold-narrow, and so on, when selection
> fonts in the \paper block.  You get the point...

Ok, thanks.
What about compressing words? I mean, is it possible to change the
amount of space between the letters?

W dniu 10 stycznia 2011 22:28 użytkownik James Lowe
<address@hidden> napisał:
> Just use a font that is narrower.

Usually only a few syllabes are too wide and cause spacing problems.
I'd prefer not to change the font of the whole score because of that.

cheers,
Janek