Re: ties through parallel construction

From: Xavier Scheuer
Subject: Re: ties through parallel construction
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 13:51:17 +0100

On 11 January 2011 12:11, Father Gordon Gilbert <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> In the following construction:
>
>       <d a'>2 ~ <cis a'> ~ {<< \stemDown <d a'> \\ \stemUp {d'4 cis} >>}
>
> the second "tilde" seems to have no effect.  I want to tie the 'a' in
> the second chord to the 'a' in the third chord in the parallel bar.
> Am I missing something?  How do I tie such a thing through this
> construction?  Everything else about this line seems to work properly.

This is an intrinsic default of the  << { ... } \\ { ... } >> contruct.
The music within this construct is contained in 2 voices called "1" and
"2" that are different from the voice outside this construct.
Ties, slurs, ... cannot be used between two different voices.

This is a really annoying problem, especially for new users.
I'm currently trying to convince developers to change this behaviour.
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2010-11/msg00199.html

I'd suggest using explicitly instantiating voices.
See "Temporary polyphonic passages" in NR 1.5.2 Multiple voices .
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13/Documentation/notation/multiple-voices.html

<d a'>2 ~ <cis a'> ~ << \stemDown <d a'> \new Voice { \stemUp d'4 cis } >>

Cheers,
Xavier

--
Xavier Scheuer <address@hidden>