Re: function looksSlower from LSR produces many warnings

From: Nick Payne
Subject: Re: function looksSlower from LSR produces many warnings
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 18:00:31 +1100

On 12/01/11 16:08, Marc Mouries wrote:
On Jan 11, 2011, at 6:34 PM, Carl Sorensen wrote:

On 1/11/11 11:30 AM, "Marc M" <address@hidden> wrote:

As a matter of fact, I get the same warnings without the function but with
\stemUp with the code:
\version "2.13.45"
\language "english"
\score {
 \relative g' {
   << { \stemUp g, }
   \\ { \stemUp d' }
   \\ { \stemUp b' }
   \\ { \stemUp g' } >>

Not clear why because the music looks ok.
Because you have four different voices that are all trying to share the same
space.  This means they collide.  In this particular instance, the collision
is not a problem; it's the desired behavior.
it's also not clear why \stemUp is necessary with voices while the stems are
in the right direction when we just print a chord:
\version "2.13.45"
\language "english"
\score {
 \relative g' {
   <g, d' b' g'>4
Because the chord is in a single voice, which has a given stem direction.

When you do the parallel music, instead of the chord, you create *four*
voices.  And normally we like to distinguish between voices, so we want the
stems to be different.
This might be true for Choral music where the voice are played by different player or singer but that's not the case for Violin.
This is how all editions print Bach's Solo Sonata for Violin.
Please see the Learning Manual, section 3.2.1, for more explanation on this
subject.  You really need to understand this concept to use LilyPond
effectively for complex music.
Thanks for the link but I have read this section of the doc.  I find all of this tuning is needed because lilypond does not support writing chords with notes of different duration.
If this was supported music complex music like the solo sonatas would be much simpler to typeset.
I like lilypond and at the beginning I recommended it to other violinists but they found it was too developer oriented. Which, on my side i like the power of function that can be applied but I find myself spending more and more (too much) time to adjust lilypond layout. This might be because i am typesetting more complex music now but i'd like for lilypond to have a more approachable and more intuitive notation. Typesetting music for one instrument with different voice is definitely not only a to lay music out nicely but also to edit the lilypond code due to the multiple voices required just to enter few "chords" here and there.

If you have a look at the Mutopia Project web site, all the Bach solo violin Sonatas and Partitas are there, all set with Lilypond and with the ly source files available...

Nick