Re:why chords with notes of different duration is not, supported?

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re:why chords with notes of different duration is not, supported?
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 23:14:36 +0100

I resend my patch that will do the right thing when just writing
<<  g,4 d'4 b'4 g'2>>

A couple of comments:

If I were to typeset this chord, my first choice would be to tweak the duration-log of some of the note-heads within a normal chord, see for example http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2010-10/msg00188.html. Agreed, this is an ugly syntax that requires a good understanding of the LilyPond internals, even though the technique explicitly is mentioned in the section on Tweak, in the Notation Reference. This could be an answer to Grahams question on how to implement the feature internally in LilyPond.

We shouldn't blame Bach! If you look at his autograph, you will see that he uses separate stems for the different notes. This has been very thoroughly imitated in the edition prepared by late Werner Icking, see for example the first bars of http://icking-music-archive.org/scores/bach/sonatas_and_partitas/bwv1001.pdf (typeset using MusiXTeX), in case you don't have access to a good copy of the autograph and think that http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a5/BWV1001.jpg is too small. However, there are many other composers that use the notation you are discussing (in addition to lots of editions of Bach).

    /Mats