Re: why chords with notes of different duration is not supported?

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: why chords with notes of different duration is not supported?
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 10:41:22 +0100 (CET)

>> If at all, the syntax would be e.g.
>>
>>   <g,8 d'4 b'2>
>>
>> and the chord's duration would be the maximum of the single note's
>> durations.
>>
>> This syntax extension looks quite natural to me.
>
> Not to me.  Chord syntax explicitly creates a combined object with a
> common duration, and the duration is specified _after_ the closing
> angle bracket.  Accents and similar can be placed afterwards as
> well.  What would it mean to have, say, a common staccato on a
> "chord" with different notes?  Or add a common duration to a chord
> with durations specified inside already?

Of course there are border cases which should be handled gracefully.
However, we already have a precendence, namely the handling of ties:

   <c e> ~ <c e>    % both notes get a tie
   <c~ > <c e>      % only the `c' gets a tie

> As far as I can see, there is not much more to do than just omit the
> warning for parallel music when the output is sensible.  The extra
> angles for being allowed (and required) to put the durations inside
> seem like a reasonably cheap price to pay.

There is an additional obstacle: If you do

  \relative c {
  }

you get three staves with single notes instead of a chord...

    Werner