Re: why chords with notes of different duration is not supported?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: why chords with notes of different duration is not supported?
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 10:58:47 +0100

Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> writes:

>> As far as I can see, there is not much more to do than just omit the
>> warning for parallel music when the output is sensible.  The extra
>> angles for being allowed (and required) to put the durations inside
>> seem like a reasonably cheap price to pay.
>
> There is an additional obstacle: If you do
>
>   \relative c {
>   }
>
> you get three staves with single notes instead of a chord...

I think that this deserves handling in the input syntax at some point of
time.  I think that it is too easy to invoke parallel staves
accidentally currently.  What you call "additional obstacle" is a rather
commonly encountered pitfall, so I don't think that it is worth
considering it as a specific problem of this notation.

--
David Kastrup