Re: instrumentName in StaffGroup

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Re: instrumentName in StaffGroup
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 13:09:01 +0100

2011/1/14 James Lowe <address@hidden>

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13/Documentation/notation/displaying-staves#index-staff-group

Scroll down you will see

'The PianoStaff is identical to a GrandStaff, except that it supports printing the instrument name directly. For details, see Instrument names. '

Is this what you needed?

Thanks, James.
If you are suggesting to use PianoStaff instead of StaffGroup, unfortunately
it doesn't work because it seems that PianoStaff can group only Staff contexts.
If you include TabStaff an extra (unwanted) Staff group is created.  Try:

\new PianoStaff <<
 \set PianoStaff.instrumentName = #"Guitar 1 "
 \new Staff { R1 }
 \new TabStaff { R1 }

And that's fine: I don't want to use PianoStaff for a guitar :-)

So who uses PianoStaff knows how to center the instrument name.
Who uses StaffGroup doesn't know.
I think that the page where adding such information is this one:

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13/Documentation/notation/writing-parts#instrument-names

Cheers,
Federico