Re: Complex time signature

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: Complex time signature
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 20:34:07 +0100

On 14 Jan 2011, at 19:18, Arle Lommel wrote:

Both formats are used. It's really a matter of which tradition you are working in.

Yes, that was my point, too.

For Hungarian stuff this is the normal representation:

<PastedGraphic-2.png>

I'm guessing in Bulgaria the other notation is the norm (although I don't work with it so I don't know)

It is interesting it has become the norm in Hungary. Bartók Béla worked closely with ethnomusicologist Vinko Žganec, and I am told that in an extensive work by the latter, this notation is used. So it is perhaps they who have invented it.

As for the Balkans, one is normally using '+' only if one thinks it might be unclear otherwise, or in case of meters felt to be built up by other common meters. So for say different 7s or 9s (or 8s), one just writes one number, as these are well known. The Sedi Donka was written 7+7+11 as the one who wrote felt as compound by the common the 7 and 11.

Somebody in this list used the notation of writing just the number in the staff, and the '+' decomposition above it and the staff within parenthesis in smaller size. That seems me to be a good idea. The '+' is not needed if the decomposition can be seen from the beaming.