Re: Complex time signature

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: Complex time signature
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 22:46:48 +0100

On 14 Jan 2011, at 21:57, Arle Lommel wrote:

Somebody in this list used the notation of writing just the number in the staff, and the '+' decomposition above it and the staff within parenthesis in smaller size. That seems me to be a good idea. The '+' is not needed if the decomposition can be seen from the beaming.

Seems like a good way to approach it. I prefer the format I use in some work I've, but primarily because I was writing pieces with shifting polymetrics and preferred to make everything rather obvious. But the idea you mention does seem appropriate where the emphasis in the score is not on the rhythm and something more discreet is desired.

I think this is better for those are used to it, and those that are may such a courtesy decomposition, which one can put in, if one thinks it is needed. It depends on the intended readership.

I have a Bulgarian example shifting irregularly between 9/16 and 11/16. Then in the first measure both meters are given (actually with a '+' which I think should not be there), and for the rest of the measures the meter is given. But there are no '+' subdivisions given, though it is in a school, with the rhythm given by notes above.