Re: global staff-staff spacing fails in 2.13.46

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: global staff-staff spacing fails in 2.13.46
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 17:09:51 -0800

James Worlton <jworlton <at> gmail.com> writes:

The following code compiles,  but the spacing override in the layout block fails. The
layout block code was copied and pasted into my test directly from the NR 4.4.1
"Within-system spacing properties". ...
\override VerticalAxisGroup #'staff-staff-spacing  #'basic-distance = #10

James,
It is a mistake in the new documentation (in two places).  What you want is

\override VerticalAxisGroup #'default-staff-staff-spacing
    #'basic-distance = #10

The explanation is that the staff-staff-spacing of a VerticalAxisGroup is set
by default to be a function.  The method of assigning one piece,
basic-distance, of the variable does not work if that variable is actually a
function.

Dear docs editors,
 Patch attached.
(I had to wrap long lines of .ly; tried to pick a consistent indentation.)
-Keith