Re: Error in glyphs: glyphs with filled loops at different feta font siz

From: Shane Brandes
Subject: Re: Error in glyphs: glyphs with filled loops at different feta font sizes
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 01:09:00 -0500

Hi Frank,

 I can not reproduce these errors on Ubuntu 10.04 . I have a suspicion
that it is your rasterizing engine in your Gentoo that is being fussy
and that the errors might be caused by the fact that some of the fonts
used by lilypond do not validate properly. Much of the time this will
not affect things adversely, but it is a commercial standard that is
pretty rigorously adhered to. This means that certain rasterizing
engines might get a little mixed up by tracing the wrong direction or
things that self overlap or simply missing extremum (points marking
outer boundaries and changes of direction) can also cause unreliable
results.  This of course is a shot in the dark but it makes a fair
amount of sense. In any event If I had any idea how lilypond called up
which set of fonts for what size it would be simple to make an
experiment to see if it is resolvable by correcting those things.
Attaching the pdf only will show us what errors your machine has
generated as pdf viwers on other machines will display the same errors
as the pdf is in its own way an image sort of file.

Shane