Re: Odd vertical spacing of lyrics

From: James Bailey
Subject: Re: Odd vertical spacing of lyrics
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 19:09:23 +0100

On Jan 18, 2011, at 6:10 PM, Phil Holmes wrote:

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Solomon" <address@hidden>

I doubt it's a regression, and more likely one of the (in my opinion, adverse)
affects of the new vertical spacing. There was an email about it recently:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2010-12/msg00674.html. If you
understand the new spacing, it's probably loads easier to make changes, and the
changes that need to be made make a lot more sense.

[off-topic rant]
However, I haven't even begun to try to understand all of that yet, when the
time comes for me to start migrating scores to 2.14, I'm probably just going to
copy/paste those functions and add them to my global include file. It's a bit
of a hassle for those of us who set vocal music on closed staffs where the
lyrics split occasionally. I am really not that technically inclined (I
constantly remind myself that lilypond was the first time I ever encountered
anything approaching "programming", and frequently, simply modifying scheme
snippets I find is a bit daunting for me. So, it's going to take a lot of
reading before I begin to understand the changes in 2.14. I've also seriously
been considering not upgrading. I don't like a lot of the new spacing
decisions, and a lot of the things are, from my point of view, more complex, at
the expense of being more flexible. An example from a score I finished at the
end of the 2.11 days:

PNG image

PNG image

The former is the 2.12 behavior, the latter, the 2.13 behavior (on the same
file, which no modifications to spacing, because even in 2.12, that stuff is
too complicated for me). I find it really clear which text belongs to all
voices, and which text belongs to individual voices. Without any overrides.

I don't even want to think about how many overrides I'm going to need to get
the same behavior in 2.14.
[/off-topic rant]