Re: highlighting notes in pdf, synchronized pdf and midi playback

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Re: highlighting notes in pdf, synchronized pdf and midi playback
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 22:56:36 +0100

Janek,

I guess that you forgot to reply to the list

Il giorno mar, 18/01/2011 alle 15.56 +0100, Janek Warchoł ha scritto:
> 2011/1/18 Federico Bruni <address@hidden>:
> > 2011/1/18 Janek Warchoł <address@hidden>
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> i'm pretty sure that i saw a program that could highlight objects in
> >> compiled pdf corresponding to the selected lilypond input, but i
> >> cannot find it now. Am i right? What was it?
> >
> > It's been quite a long time since I've used it, but, IIRC, jEdit +
> > LilyPondTool plugin can do it.
> > Actually it doesn't highlight... It's a jump... a kind of "reverse"
> > point-and-click.
>
> It must have been this... Strangely it doesn't work for me. Even the
> ordinary Point-and-click doesn't work, only "edit in place".

maybe some LilypondTool user here can help you...

> >> Also, is there any program that would play a midi file and highlight
> >> corresponding notes in pdf or do something similar? It would be useful
> >> for more convenient playback of LilyPond-generated scores.
> >
> > The most recent version of Frescobaldi uses KMid as internal midi player.
> > When you press Play, you can see the number and the beat of the bar being
> > played.

To be precise, you don't see it on the .pdf
You see on the bottom left, where the MIDI controllers (play, pause,
stop) are. It's not what you are looking for.

But I wonder if it could be the first step to get the synchronized
highlighting on the PDF.  I was thinking about asking this feature
request on Frescobaldi mailing list (maybe I'll do it later).

> Too bad i use Windows...

Well, keep an eye open on Frescobaldi development.
Maybe next major release, 2.0, which should be released around the end
of the year, will support Mac and Windows.

Check these links:
http://frescobaldi.org/development
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2010-12/msg00676.html

Also, there will be the two-way point-and-click (a feature currently
present only in LilypondTool, AFAIK).