Re: Suppress chord names from MIDI output

From: Johan Vromans
Subject: Re: Suppress chord names from MIDI output
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 08:45:56 +0100

Brett McCoy <address@hidden> writes:

> Is there a way to suppress MIDI output for \ChordName context? When I
> create a staff with other parts and have chord names at the top, the
> output always has a piano playing those chords and it's interfering
> with the rest of the piece, plus I don't need the extra track when I
> import the MIDI into a sequencer (and it uses up a MIDI track). How do
> I prevent this from being in the MIDI output?

There are several ways to handle this.

I always postprocess the MIDI output, eg. to split chords + 4 parts into
4 separate MIDI files, each having one part plus the chords (but with
decreased volume). It would be trivial to just leave the chords out.

Another way is using tags:

allMusic = {
  <<
    \tag #'scoreOnly \harmonics
    \sopranoStaff
    ... other staffs ...

}

%% Generate the printed score.
\score {
  \removeWithTag #'midiOnly \allMusic
  \layout { ... }
}

%% Generate the MIDI.
\score {
  \removeWithTag #'scoreOnly \unfoldRepeats \allMusic
  \midi { ... }
}

HTH,
        Johan