Re: Odd vertical spacing of lyrics

From: Jan Warchoł
Subject: Re: Odd vertical spacing of lyrics
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 21:42:43 +0100

2011/1/18 Carl Sorensen <address@hidden>

> On 1/18/11 8:26 AM, "Mike Solomon" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Hey all,
> >
> > The following snippet is giving me the attached output w/ the soprano line
> > shifted way up after the line break.  Is there any way to get the soprano
> > correctly aligned (w/o changing the distance between systems - this minimal
> > example approximates a larger one w/ many systems over several pages).
> >
> > \version "2.13.47"
>

> Mike,
>
> I got it to work successfully with the following change:
>
>    \new Lyrics = sopranos \with {
>      \override VerticalAxisGroup #'staff-affinity = #DOWN
>      } { s1 }
>

> The lyrics were still a little bit high, however.  It's almost like there's
> a blank context hiding in the middle.  But I haven't been able to get rid of
> that small amount of extra space.

The reference point of lyrics is the baseline and this is the cause of
the problem - #'nonstaff-relatedstaff-spacing #'basic-distance
appropriate for lyrics below staff is not appropriate for lyrics above
staff. Consider the following (and look at the attachment):

\version "2.13.45"

\paper { system-system-spacing #'basic-distance = #20 ragged-right = ##t }

\score {
 \new ChoirStaff <<
   \new Lyrics = abovelyrics \with { \override VerticalAxisGroup
#'staff-affinity = #DOWN }
     { s1 }
   \new Staff {
        \new Voice = "empty" { r4 r r r \break } \new Voice =
"firstPart" { f' f' f' f' } \new Voice = "secondPart" { e'' e'' e''
e'' }
     }
   \new Lyrics = "belowlyrics" { s1 }

   \context Lyrics = abovelyrics \lyricsto firstPart \lyricmode { ma
-- ma ma -- ma }
   \context Lyrics = belowlyrics \lyricsto secondPart \lyricmode { mo
mo -- mo mo }

  \layout {
    \context {
      %  \Lyrics \override VerticalAxisGroup
#'nonstaff-relatedstaff-spacing #'basic-distance = #4

You can see how this changes by uncommenting the
nonstaff-relatedstaff-spacing override.

The strange thing is that all this somehow doesn't affect first system.

cheers,
Janek