RE: horizontal beams

From: James Lowe
Subject: RE: horizontal beams
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 11:10:56 +0000

Lj

-----Original Message-----
From: address@hidden [mailto:address@hidden On Behalf Of address@hidden
Sent: 20 January 2011 10:18
To: address@hidden

James, i must say i'm confused by most of your mail...

> We don't add \overrides (i.e tweaks) to the manual directly.

???
the line \override Beam #'damping = #+inf.0 is in the manual in an example how
to make beams horizontal. the manual is actually full of snippets with
\overrides, so what do you mean exactly?
----
[James Lowe]  As you say, these are 'snippets'.  See

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13/Documentation/contributor/tips-for-writing-docs
under tweaks.

> However where are you getting the three lines of syntax from?

???
the first line is in the manual, as i said, and the other two were suggested in
the previous mail by Dmytro to make it work properly.

> http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=375
>
> Shows you how to use one does it not?

???
my first post included an example (with images and all) showing that the tweak
\override Beam #'damping = #+inf.0 by itself does not guarantee horizontal
beams in all cases. were you following the thread at all?

 [James Lowe] Yes I was following the thread. The snippet says explicitly

' the last one shows how to obtain horizontal beams, regardless of the notes
they connect'

So if you know that it does not guarantee horizontal beams then the snippet is
wrong and it needs to be corrected, I can only go on what I am told in the
documentation or the snippet repository. So there is no point adding another
snippet to the documentation when we have one (as far as I can see) that gives
you '... horizontal beams, regardless of the notes they connect' already.
However if it is wrong, it would be better to correct this than add something
new.

James