Re: Pentatonic Diatonic Transposition?

From: Marc Hohl
Subject: Re: Pentatonic Diatonic Transposition?
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 08:05:47 +0100

Am 21.01.2011 03:05, schrieb Daniel:
Hello,

Hello Daniel,

I have recently discovered Lilypond, and wow. It is just great. I have been
looking for something like this for a long time.
:-)
I have a question on how to diatonically transpose a motive in a non-major or
minor scale in this case, a pentatonic.

For instance, suppose I have this pentatonic {a c d e g } and I have a phrase
that is {a c g e} and now I want that phrase to start on g so transposed
diatonically to the "mode" (its not really, but that is basically what I want)
of that a pentatonic it would be {g a e d}.

If I use regular "\transpose a g {MyPhrase}" it will come out {g bes f d} and
include notes that are not in my original a minor pentatonic.

Can I define my own modes? I know that \dorian, \ionian are in there somewhere,
can I make my own scale\modes somehow and just use those?

This issue came up in 2008 and John Mandereau wrote some functions
which IMHO do exactly what you need, please look at

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2008-12/msg00805.html

HTH,

Marc