Merging Rests in Single Staff with more than one 'voice'

From: James Lowe
Subject: Merging Rests in Single Staff with more than one 'voice'
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2011 17:52:54 +0000

Hello,

I don't often use multiple voices in a single staff, so am a bit
unfamiliar and am still finding my way.

However I cannot easily see how I can take two 'voices' each from a single
source such that when they are combined on a single staff the rests that
both voices share are only printed once.

For example

\musicSourceOne = { a4 b c d | R1*4 | a4 r b r2 }
\musicSourceTwo = { f4 r f r | R1*4 | f4 f g r2 }

<< \musicSourceOne // \musicSourceTwo >>

Is about as basic as it gets.

However in measures two and three both the Multimeasure rest and the r2
are printed for each voice.

I looked for a merge-rest type function and the LSR but couldn't see an
easy way to do this without more complex editing.

Did I miss something or am I going to have to make 'skips' in one voice
and manually position the r2 so it sits on the correct line 'as if' it
were only printed once in the other?

Thanks for your help.

James