Re: Baroque Articulation mark

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: Re: Baroque Articulation mark
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2011 13:36:31 -0500

    >> I'm transcribing a flute sonata from an eighteenth centuray facsimile,
    >> and there's a decoration that I don't know either what it means (so that
    >> I could translate it into an equivalent modern articulation mark), or
    >> how to produce something that looks like that in lilypond.  I'm
    >> attaching a scan.  Any help would be appreciated.
    >>
    >> The source is the Performers' Facsimiles edition of Dix Sonates by
    >> Godfrey Finger.

    Phil> A caesura?

That does look right, except for being between the two notes instead of
above the half note.

My problem with that being what it *means* is not only that it's above
the note, but that there isn't one in the bass line, which you would
expect to need since the Basso and the Fluto aren't in score. (Which is
why I'm transcribing it.)  And as a bass line player, I wouldn't pause
at that point. (See
<http://clavichord.cantabileband.org/~newlily/music/finger/10sonatas/II/adagio-I.pdf>
for the transcription of the whole movement.)  So I suspect some kind of
note shortener or accenter is a better modern translation.

--
Laura   (mailto:address@hidden)
(617) 661-8097  233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139

The opposite of "funny" isn't "serious"; the opposite of both "funny"
and "serious" is "sordid".

R. A. Lafferty