Re: Pentatonic Diatonic Transposition?

From: Basso Ridiculoso
Subject: Re: Pentatonic Diatonic Transposition?
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 21:04:46 -0800

Thank you!!!!

This works awesome, exactly what I wanted to do. Rather than copy/paste etc to move a lick through a scale this will do it all automatically, I can whip up some templates, put my lick in one place, and bam have any pentatonic or triad-pair lick moved around in all kinds of different ways until I find something that sounds interesting enough to keep.

I used it with a triad-pair scale of Cmaj and Dmaj and tried different transpositions through the scale to check it out:

HexatonicScale = {c8 d e fis g a}
HexatonicMotiveA = {c4 e8 d8 fis4 a8 g8}

\score {
     \new Staff {
        \time 4/4
        \clef bass
        \tempo "" 4=160
           \mark "Ascending"
        \HexatonicMotiveA
        \modalTranspose c d \HexatonicScale \HexatonicMotiveA
        \modalTranspose c e \HexatonicScale \HexatonicMotiveA
        \modalTranspose c fis \HexatonicScale \HexatonicMotiveA
        \modalTranspose c g \HexatonicScale \HexatonicMotiveA
        \modalTranspose c a \HexatonicScale \HexatonicMotiveA
        \bar "||"
        \break
        \mark "Random"
        \HexatonicMotiveA
        \modalTranspose c g \HexatonicScale \HexatonicMotiveA
        \modalTranspose c d \HexatonicScale \HexatonicMotiveA
        \modalTranspose c fis \HexatonicScale \HexatonicMotiveA
        \modalTranspose c a \HexatonicScale \HexatonicMotiveA
        \modalTranspose c e \HexatonicScale \HexatonicMotiveA
        \transpose c c' \HexatonicMotiveA
        \bar "||"
        \break
        \mark "Descending"
        \transpose c c' \HexatonicMotiveA
        \modalTranspose c a \HexatonicScale \HexatonicMotiveA
        \modalTranspose c g \HexatonicScale \HexatonicMotiveA
        \modalTranspose c fis \HexatonicScale \HexatonicMotiveA
        \modalTranspose c e \HexatonicScale \HexatonicMotiveA
        \modalTranspose c d \HexatonicScale \HexatonicMotiveA
         \HexatonicMotiveA
            \bar "||"    }

Results enclosed, all as expected and thanks again. I am gonna be making licks until I fill up my drive now. :)

Daniel

On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 3:45 PM, Michael Ellis <address@hidden> wrote:
On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 12:09 AM, Daniel <address@hidden> wrote:
> Lilypond is awesome!

I agree!  This topic was interest to me, so here's a cut at a working
solution based on my earlier post.  The attached file,
modaltranspose.ly defines a new music function, \modalTranspose that
works almost like the normal chromatic \transpose but takes one extra
argument: the scale to use for the transposition.   Here's the usage
example from the file

%% ---------- Demo ------------------------------

%% Just to show it works with normally transposed music, too:-)
dPentScale =  \transpose c d { c'4 d' e' g' a'1 }
mymotive = \transpose c d { c'4 c' e' d' c'1}

%% And here's an octatonic example
cOctatonicScale = {c'4 d' ees' f' ges' aes' a' b'}
octamotive = {c'4 ees' ges' a' b' aes' f' d' }

\score {
    \new Staff {
       \tempo "" 2=120
       \mark "Pentatonic"
       \dPentScale
       \mymotive
       \modalTranspose d' e' \dPentScale \mymotive
       \mymotive
       \break
       \mark "Octatonic"
       \cOctatonicScale
       \octamotive
       \modalTranspose c' a' \cOctatonicScale \octamotive
       \octamotive
       {ees'1} %% Can't stand not resolving :-)
    }

   \layout {}
   \midi {}
}

%% -------------------------------------------------------------------

Seems to work with arbitrary scales, but be aware that the code will
(intentionally) throw an error if any pitch in what you're transposing
is not in the scale.  I'm not sure what other result is reasonable for
arbitrary scales.

The code Probably has some other bugs, too :-)  I'm open to
suggestions for improvement before I submit it to LSR.

Cheers,
Mike

--
I remain,