Re: How do you tell tempo for indications in English

From: Patrick Horgan
Subject: Re: How do you tell tempo for indications in English
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2011 13:53:05 -0800

On 02/02/2011 03:59 AM, James Lowe wrote:
... elision by patrick ...

I don’t think there is such a thing a 'authentic' tempo range if you are
referring to setting crotchet/quaver/minim tempo speeds.

What you are asking, it seems is, 'what speed is 'cheerful''?

Which doesn't makes much sense.

I expect it was simply played 'cheerfully' and that would depend on who was
doing the playing. Also can you be sure that the same tune played in one 'Irish
pub' is any different from a 'non-Irish pub' or that other 'Irish pub' down the
road? The music is probably played as fast or slow as the musicians play it and
that can depend on how many times they have played together, the smell of the
crowd or simply the number of pints  of the 'black stuff' they have put away
before/during the gig. ;) 110201-000063

Sorry if that sounds a bit flippant, but I am not sure what kind of answer you
are going to get other than someone else's guestimation of which you could do
yourself.

Tempo in terms of words (rather than beat numbers) is more about feeling than
speed.
So what you're saying is that you really don't know. Still, there must be a normal range for a fast jig for example. If you don't know it's ok, but hopefully someone will know.

I don't know the repertoire, but I want to, (on guitar), and it would be helpful to know if I'm learning something at half the speed most would play it, or conversely at twice the speed. I'm not looking for anything exact, but it would be nice to be in the ballpark rather than down the street.

Patrick