Re: error in predefined chord diagram?

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: error in predefined chord diagram?
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2011 18:18:00 -0700

Tim McNamara <timmcn <at> bitstream.net> writes:

> There is a fourth note, double one of the notes in the triad, in the dim
fingerings that is not in the score.  IME
> the fingering should match the score in cases where there is a score.

To make the fingering match the score, just don't use the predefined
diagrams.  Then the fretboard calculator will try to automatically calculate
a fingering.   For the dim chords, it generally works.  For the dim7, it
fails most of the time.

This is accomplished by using the commands \predefinedFretboardsOff

But it's very seldom that a guitar chord is voiced like a standard chord is
written in the score.

> The dim chord is a triad so the
> fingering should contain only those three notes with none of them doubled; the
dim7 is a tetrad and the
> fingerings correctly contain those four notes.
>
> This may be overly pedantic.

I don't think it's overly pedantic; I think it's a misunderstanding of why
the example was created the way it was.  The notes in the score would
virtually *never* be the notes in the fretboard in standard usage.

In this demonstration, the score was put there just to indicate what was
meant by a dim and a dim7, since there is some evidence that jazz players
consider a dim on a lead sheet to imply a dim7.

There is an open issue, #1497 on the tracker, to have staff notation reflect
the predefined fretboard voicing if desired.

Thanks,

Carl