Re: Volta bracket not surviving line break

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Volta bracket not surviving line break
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 15:08:19 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: "ornello" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Wednesday, February 09, 2011 1:47 PM
Subject: Volta bracket not surviving line break

Hello,

the following (incomplete) example includes a volta bracket which should
span from bar 9 to 12. However it stops with the line break after bar 9. Any
idea what I am doing wrong?

I've seen James' response, but I'm going to make a different suggestion. I _think_ the (volta #f) is simply used to signal to Lily that you want the repeat lines to finish at this point, but that there is no defined point where the alternative music ends. Lily takes the view that the end of a system is an equally good place to stop. If you replace your final

\set Score.repeatCommands = #'((volta #f) )

with

\set Score.repeatCommands = #'((volta #f) end-repeat)

then the repeated section actually ends, and the spanner continues over the bar line, because there is a musically defined end to the section.

I think that the snippet you supplied doesn't work, musically, because of the lack of ending to the repeat.

--
Phil Holmes