Re: Fretboard positions on staff

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Fretboard positions on staff
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 21:33:01 -0700

On 2/9/11 6:31 PM, "Terrence McNulty" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi. Does LilyPond recommend roman numerals to indicated fretboard positioning
> on the staff? And if so, what is the appropriate method for adding those in my
> LilyPond engraving? Or where is this discussed in the manual?

LilyPond generally doesn't "recommend" the type of notation to be used.  A
better question would be whether LilyPond "supports" a particular type of
notation.

The roman numeral indications on the staff of guitar music with which I am
familiar are indications of a "capo", or multiple strings held down at a
certain fret with a single finger (usually the first finger).

This is covered in a snippet in the LilyPond Snippet Repository:

http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=632

I found it by searching the LSR with the keyword "guitar".

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Carl