midi-output using one midi channel per string?

From: Ingo Glöckner
Subject: midi-output using one midi channel per string?
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 08:59:39 +0100

Hello,

I am using Lilypond for writing guitar music.
In this process, the generated midi output can
be a useful control.
In order to get a more realistic impression,
I would like to send the notes for each guitar
string to a separate midi channel so that it can
trigger specific sound samples for each string.

So far I have only found out how to assign
distinct midi channels to distinct Lilypond
voices, but I cannot enter the guitar music
using one voice per string.

My question is if is possible to split the midi
output by strings.

In case there is no simple way to achieve this:
The association of the individual notes and
corresponding strings is obviously known somewhere
in the TabStaff code. Would this be a possible
starting point for implementation?

Thanks in advance for help!

- Ingo