Re: Time signature change within bars

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Time signature change within bars
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2011 10:48:34 -0500

Hi Ed,

> Kudos to Eluze for figuring out such a work-around.

Another improvement (on a great workaround!) would be to fix the bar numbering
problem it introduces:

\version "2.13.46"
\include "english.ly"

\layout {
  \context {
    \Score
     \override BarNumber #'break-visibility = #'#(#t #t #t)
     barNumberVisibility = #(every-nth-bar-number-visible 1)

\relative c' {
  \clef bass
  \time 6/8
  b b, b b b b |
  b4. s4 \set Timing.measurePosition = #(ly:make-moment -2 8)  \time 4/4
g'8. g16 |
  a4 g
}

\relative c' {
  \clef bass
  \time 6/8
  b b, b b b b |
  b4. s4 \set Timing.measurePosition = #(ly:make-moment 6 8)  \time 4/4
g'8. g16 |
  a4 g
}

> Heck, I've been a musician 40 of my 45 years, and can't even understand what
> an in-bar time signature change really means.

Same as an in-bar key signature: the composer has the choice of waiting until
the bar to change the key (resp. time) signature and deal with the accidentals
(resp. timing) in the current bar, or change the key (resp. time) signature
mid-bar and not have to deal with any accidentals (resp. timing issues).

Hope this helps!
Kieren.