Re: glissando without starting note

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: glissando without starting note
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 10:34:27 +0100

> James Bailey <derhindemith <at> googlemail.com> writes:
> > {
> > g''1\breathe
> > \hideNotes
> > a'8*1/2
> > \noBeam
> > \glissando
> > \unHideNotes
> > a'' a''4 a''8 a''4 \bar "|."
> > }
>
> I found this example searching on the net -- it almost does what I want
> -- I am   having trouble adapting it to 2/4.   I can't quite figure out
> what the line:
>
> a'8*1/2
>
> is doing -- I see that it is an 8th note and its duration is being
> scaled,

Please note that the 8*1/2 duration (i.e. looks like an eighth, but takes time
like a 16th) also applies to the next note, since it is not explicitly changed!
Basically, this example is giving half of the a'' at the end of the glissando
to the hidden note.

In your example you are explicitly setting the duration of the following note
to an eight, without scaling it to a 16th... That's the problem.

>                       % 2/4 glissando thingy
>          {
>          \hideNotes
>          a,8*1/4                   % what do I put here and why?

You would use the exact same code as above. the 1/2 does not come from the time
sig. Rather, it allows you to use half of the time of that not for another,
hidden note before it. The 1/2 for this and the hidden note simply ensures that
they take exactly the same time as the visible eighth note sggests.

Cheers,
Reinhold