Re: Use custom font's flat (b) and sharp (#) symbols for chords

From: Matthias Hüsken
Subject: Re: Use custom font's flat (b) and sharp (#) symbols for chords
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 18:24:53 +0100

Thx for the answer!

> )For writing lead sheets, I changed Lilypond's standard font for printing
> )chord names to a custom font. While this works perfectly, the style
> )difference between the chord symbols and Lilypond's flat and sharp
> )symbols is very obvious. Is there a way to make Lilypond use the custom
> )font's "b" and "#"
> )symbols instead of the internal ones?
> )
> ---
>
> Not easily. The flat and sharp glyphs are 'hard coded' as it were.
>
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13/Documentation/notation/the-feta-font#accident
>al-glyphs
>
> While LilyPond can use other specially design fonts, for instance see:
>
> http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/gonville/  (we do mention this
> in our Documentation but all the installation instructions are here)
>
> This still has a hard coded glyph. It may be nearer to what you need
> though?
>
> You would need to replace the specific glyph for the sharp and flat
> manually within the 'fonts' directory that is installed with LilyPond -
> which is what the above link does for its own font. I don't know how easy
> that would be for you to do - it's certainly beyond my knowledge.

I already found this solution, but to me, it looks like overkill to simply
replace two symbols. Especially as I need the changed symbols only in
chordmode - for notes, LiliPond's are perfect.

> Alternatively you could use the LilyPond glyph within the chordname by
> using the \flat and \sharp markup.

I'm not sure I understand - I do not want to use LilyPond's glyphs in chord
names, but custom ones...

For my purposes, it would just like to be able to redefine the sharp and flat
symbols only for the chord mode, but I did not find any easy solution... and
I do not know if this is even possible.

Matthias

Matthias Hüsken          Phone: +49 202 439-3362
Fachbereich Mathematik   Fax:   +49 202 439-2912
Bergische Universität
Gaußstraße 20
D - 42097 Wuppertal
e-mail: address@hidden