Re: Right hand notes have too many ledger lines.

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Right hand notes have too many ledger lines.
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 08:37:04 +0100

Disc Magnet <address@hidden> writes:

> I have attached the PDF output with this email. In his score, the
> treble clef is supposed to be played with right hand and the bass clef
> with left hand. However, in the treble clef (right hand), we have two
> notes ('a' and 'g') which are below the middle C and thus represented
> by extra ledger lines.
>
> Unfortunately, there are too many of these in the music I am writing
> and the score is full of too many ledger lines. What is the
> recommended way of writing scores like these?

Huh?  Note that the classical instrument for the treble clef is the
violin, and it goes down to g (two ledger lines).  An instrument with a
hard split between right and left hand is the accordion, starting at f
for piano accordions (three ledger lines).  Nobody wastes any thought
about that.

In order to save singers ledger lines, in pre-baroque times every voice
had its own clef.  But nobody does that anymore.  Piano scores sometimes
switch both hands to the same clef, or octavate one clef.  Pretty much
the only other clef in use is the C clef used for viola.  And some cello
parts might switch to this clef when they get quite high.

But that's about it.  Other than that, people use ledger lines.

> Could you please modify this code to the recommended style so that I
> can learn the right way to do this?

Looks fine as it is.

--
David Kastrup