Re: engraving question - slur across notes sung to different syllabes?

From: madMuze
Subject: Re: engraving question - slur across notes sung to different syllabes?
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2011 08:14:28 -0800 (PST)

The only thing i can come up with is that he wants the notes to be
sung legato, so maybe it would be best to simply write "legato" above
notes?

Perhaps the composer wants portamento here, not simply legato. If so, I'd be
inclined (as others have suggested) to use phrasing slurs to encourage my
own sanity. They don't need to look different than other slurs.

Also if portamento is the goal, one often finds a straight line drawn
between the noteheads. These lines are easily overlooked, however, and
adjusting the spanners will certainly add to your workload. I strongly
disrecommend this solution. In 45 years of working with singers, every slur
seems an invitation to scoop and any other notation is therefore redundant.
David