Re: engraving question - slur across notes sung to different syllabes?

From: Colin Campbell
Subject: Re: engraving question - slur across notes sung to different syllabes?
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2011 18:18:49 -0700

On 11-02-19 02:45 AM, David Kastrup wrote:
Janek Warchoł<address@hidden>  writes:

Thanks for all replies.
I'd use phrasing slur, however there's not much phrase to indicate with it...
Look at the slurs marked in red in the attachment - a phrasing slur
for 2 notes?
In the first case Werner's guess may be correct (a slur would prohibit
singers from taking a breath inside word "erit"), but the last case is
still quite mysterious to me.
It is not unusual to have instruments double some vocal parts and the
slurs might be a playing instruction for them.

It is strange that in the last example the slur is present only in one
of two parallel voices.  Looks almost like a "I can just hear how the
honorable Mrs Staccatalto is going to mangle her part, so let's put a
slur just into the part she is going to sing on opening night" slur.
I'm a woodwind player and singer, now learning cello, and being exposed to bowing markings such as this. Werner mentions portato and I'm trying to get my muscle memory to cope with the sight of staccato dots under what my mind insists is a slur.  I think David may be close, in that doubling a vocal line in a stringed instrument might carry with it the bowing markings for the string player.

Colin

--
The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance
of those who have much, it is whether we provide enough for those who