Re: Prevent Repeats in Ossia

From: Bobby Smith
Subject: Re: Prevent Repeats in Ossia
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2011 20:14:05 -0800

Hi Colin,

Thanks for you response:

> I've checked your examples with 2.13.51, Bobby, and the
> ossia still has repeats.  I'm not altogether clear on why
> you would *not* want the ossia repeated with the associated
> main voice?

I'll try to explain...

I am producing sheet music for various Afro-Cuban songs. In this context, one generally relates all songs to clave, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clave_(rhythm). This relationship holds true regardless of whether someone actually plays the clave rhythm with the song. It is the Afro-Cuban downbeat, if you will. As such, it is important that clave is not seen as part of the piece. Instead, it should only be there as a simple guide that indicates:

1. The variant of clave they should use.
2. How the song relates to clave.

Clearly, this is not a typical ossia but that is the only way I could determine how to get something close to the desired result. Maybe there is something better and I'm open to anything. All I want is a rhythmic staff that I can line up above the first couple of measures. Ideally, it would have a single stave and non-repeating bars.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Bobby