Re: Turning off visible dynamics on lower piano staff

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Turning off visible dynamics on lower piano staff
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 14:11:35 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: "Janek Warchoł" <address@hidden>
To: "Doug Ewell" <address@hidden>
Cc: "lilypond-user" <address@hidden>
Sent: Sunday, February 20, 2011 11:16 PM

2011/2/20 Doug Ewell <address@hidden>:
First-time poster, so please be gentle.

We always are :)
Welcome to the community!

I have an original piano score, just 50 measures long but with volta repeats
and alternate endings and a coda, which I am relying on to create both the
PDF and the MIDI output.

I'd like to display the dynamics between the two staves, but the "piano
centered dynamics" example in the documentation looks like it might not work
for this piece, because of the alternate endings and such.

While i'm not familiar with these new piano centered dynamics, i'm
pretty sure that our development team wouldn't create a solution that
lacks support for repeats and alternate endings. Just be sure to
create alternatives in that dynamics context, too.
Could you try using "piano centered dynamics" and sending us a message
if this fails, with a tiny example of the code? (for information on
tiny examples see http://lilypond.org/website/tiny-examples.html )

And I can't
simply use \f and friends in the upper staff only, not the lower, because
the MIDI wouldn't come out right.

Is there a simple way to turn off the dynamics engravers for just the lower
staff?

I was pretty sure that

\score {
   \new PianoStaff {
       <<
           \new Staff { d'2\p f'4 g'\f }
           \new Staff \with { \remove Dynamic_engraver } { b4\f g\ff a2\p }

would do the trick, but it doesn't do anything at all, and i have no idea why.
Anyone?

I was, as well, and got the same result (i.e. no effect). Also with 2.12.3, and I don't go back before then.

--
Phil Holmes