RE: New here and first question about using repeat percent over more tha

From: James Lowe
Subject: RE: New here and first question about using repeat percent over more than two measures
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 08:54:15 +0000

Aurelien
From: address@hidden address@hidden on behalf of Aurelien address@hidden
Sent: 22 February 2011 21:58
To: address@hidden
Subject: New here and first question about using repeat percent over more
than two measures

Hi,

I'm new on this list, though I use Lilypond for several years (but quite
basically) and audio with GNU/Linux for more years.

I present myself: I'm Aurélien, I'm french, work in a french non-profit
production/label/tour agency which produces and tours only free art with
free software.

I play bass, guitar, machines and vocals in the band Sebkha-Chott, and
also play in a musical tales for kids called Sackboutboute.

OK, let's go with my question. As I'm also a bass teacher, I often use
\repeat precent X {} in my scores. Until now, I never had any problem
with this. But now, I've got two charts with stuffs repeating that long
more than two measures. I thought I just could write something like:

\repeat percent X {
        <first measure>
        <seconde measure>
        <third measure>
        <fourth measure>
}

but actually, it just prints empy measures in the end. Is there a way to
fix this, or am I trying to do something that doesn't exist, or
shouldn't, or whatever?

Thanks a lot.

-----

See http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13/Documentation/notation/short-repeats

You construction is not quite right.

\repeat percent X {
{ first measure | second measure | third measure }
}

Depending on exactly how you want this to work.

The '%' repeat percent just means put a repeat mark inside the measure.

If you wanted to make the thick bar with the two dots, then I am not sure
exactlt what you want but you could

\repeat volta 2 {
  {first measure}
  {second measure}
  {third measure}
}

Which will print three measures in a row with a repeat mark (thick bar with
dots) at either end.

or

\repeat volta 2 {
  {first measure}
  \repeat volta 2 {
    {second measure}
      \repeat volta 2 {
        {third measure}

which will print each measure with a repeat bar at either end of it (I think).

These kinds of repeats are discussed in

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13/Documentation/notation/long-repeats

James