Re: mezzo staccato

From: James Lowe
Subject: Re: mezzo staccato
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 10:20:53 +0000

Hiapeng,

-----Original Message-----
From: 胡海鹏 - Hu Haipeng <address@hidden>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 17:35:18 +0800
To: lilypond-user <address@hidden>
Subject: mezzo staccato

>Hello,
>  I ever asked 3 signs, and 2 (portato and martellato) have been solved.
>Now I just finished my second orchestral work and am revising. The
>articulation makes my head big. There are many mezzo-staccatoed notes,
>but I just used portato. I think it's not correct, because it's just a
>line. In my theory book, a mezzo staccato is a line plus staccato. But I
>don't know whether c4-.-- does this correctly. Are these two signs work
>as one in this circumstance? Or are they far from each other?
>Regards
>Haipeng

If no one answers you, I can only say that I have had no complaints from
the string players that I have use c4-.-- for.

If the notes are tied I just used something like

c4-.( c4-. c4-.)

And again that seems to be understood by them.

I do not play a stringed instrument so I trust them.

I hope this helps.

James