Re: Trouble Understanding VerticalAxisGroup - advice needed please

From: James Lowe
Subject: Re: Trouble Understanding VerticalAxisGroup - advice needed please
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 21:38:17 +0000

Trevor

-----Original Message-----
From: Trevor Daniels <address@hidden>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 21:03:08 +0000
To: James Lowe <address@hidden>

>Hi James; you wrote Sunday, February 27, 2011 8:29 PM
>
>> I've been trying to fathom how to reduce the between space two
>> grouped
>> staffs. I'm obviously not understanding the Notation Reference as
>> I have
>> tried a variety of places where I have pasted what I think is the
>> correct
>> settings but nothing seems to change the defaults.
>
>> My construction is as follows.
>
>> \version "2.13.40"
>>
>> \musicA = { a b c d etc.}
>> \musicB = { a b c d etc.}
>> \musicC = { a b c d etc.}
>>
>> \score {
>>  <<
>>    \new RhythmicStaff {
>>      <<
>>      \new Voice {
>>        \musicA
>>      }
>>      \new Voice {
>>        \MusicB
>>      }
>>     >>
>>    }
>>    \new RhythmicStaff {
>>      \MusicC
>>     }
>>  >>
>>  \layout { }
>> }
>
>> This all engraves fine.
>
>This actually has several typos and doesn't compile.

Yes of course you are quite correct, I am sorry I was just trying to make
my example tiny and got lazy.

I'll restate the tiny example here again this tim e with the full \with
statement implemented.

MusicA = { a b c d }
MusicB = { a b c d }
MusicC = { a b c d }

\score {
  <<
    \new RhythmicStaff \with {
      \override VerticalAxisGroup #'staff-staff-spacing =
      #'((basic-distance . 4)
         (minimum-distance . 4)
         (padding . -10))
      <<
      \new Voice {
        \MusicA
      }
      \new Voice {
        \MusicB

    \new RhythmicStaff {
      \MusicC
     }

  \layout { }
}

Now as you can see the \with { has a closing } and I still get the
unexpected '}'

This is what I don't understand.

All the example shows in the NR is to add a '\with' between the existing
\*Staff and the rest of the { } expression and put the \override after the
{. So the braces are already in place.

I haven't actually 'added' any new braces - again as per the example.

So what is the \with doing? Because if you remove the \with you don't get
any errors.

I've tried putting the closing brace in every conceivable place but I get
the unexpected '}' message.

?

James