Re: No Lilypond output with XeLaTex

From: Joe Neeman
Subject: Re: No Lilypond output with XeLaTex
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2011 22:22:56 +1100

On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 10:18 PM, Joe Neeman <address@hidden> wrote:
On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 9:47 PM, Albert Frantz <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello,

I'm getting a strange and persistent bug trying to integrate LilyPond with XeLaTeX, namely no graphics
(LilyPond) output in the final .pdf file.

I've been testing with many files, most recently a simplified variant of the sample XeLaTeX file in the
LilyPond documentation resources.

I'm using LilyPond 2.12.3 on OS X 10.6 with the latest TeX Live 2010. First I run this command:

lilypond-book --output=sample lytex_sample.lytex

Then I use the typeset button in TeXShop 2.37, selecting XeLaTeX as the format of choice. (If I choose
LaTeX it compiles correctly, with LilyPond graphics; however, I need XeLaTeX for my projects.)
Alternately, I navigate directly to the sample folder and run xelatex lytex_sample.tex from the terminal.

I'm having the exact same problem[1]; it seems that xelatex has a problem converting the .eps files that lilypond produces. I managed to get it to work by passing --pdf to lilypond-book; however, if you do manage to get the eps route working, I'd be interested to hear how. My best attempt involved editing the "rungs" line of dvipdfmx.cfg  to replace -sPAPERSIZE=a0 with -dEPSCrop. Then the systems show up, but they're sometimes wrongly positioned.

...and funnily enough, after a few days of wondering, it just occurred to me what the problem is: the eps files generated by lilypond have negative coordinates in their bounding box.

Joe