Re: How to do jazz-style bar repeats

From: Tim McNamara
Subject: Re: How to do jazz-style bar repeats
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2011 08:58:49 -0600

On Mar 3, 2011, at 12:58 AM, David Bobroff wrote:

> On 3/3/2011 6:23 AM, Tim McNamara wrote:
>> I have not been able to locate a way to do jazz style multiple bar repeats
>> like these for writing out chord progressions for solos.  Can anyone point
>> me to the place in the documentation (assuming there is such a place)?

> Tim,
>
> I suspect you're looking for "percent repeats" found in section 1.4.2 of the
> notation manual of the current stable release.

Thanks!  I had looked at those and that's not what I want.

The image I attached is a standard way in jazz lead sheets and big band charts
for depicting many bars of a single chord (4 bars to however many)- it's not
used for repeating a musical phrase, unlike a percent repeat.  There is a
number in the middle of the bar which indicates how many bars to repeat, with a
heavy horizontal bar on either side of the number.  In some cases there is a
short vertical line at the outer ends of the bar, and some copyists circle the
number.  This style allows many bars to be depicted in very few bars, like the
example which shows 24 bars in only 6 written bars.  From what I've seen, there
are other engraving packages that can do this particular style of repeat, but I
have no idea how to code it in Lilypond.