Re: Learning Scheme

From: Pierre THIERRY
Subject: Re: Learning Scheme
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2011 01:50:13 +0100

Scribit Tim Sheasby dies 03/03/2011 hora 20:14:
> Wanting to get more involved in LilyPond. Would like to learn Scheme.
> What is the best tutorial to get going? Thanks

If you really like mathematics, I strongly recommend SICP[1]. It will
explain Scheme in a very pedagogical way, at a very reasonable speed,
and will teach you a whole lot of very important principles about good
programming discipline. And it will have you grasp the very essence of
what is programming and a programming language... Also, there are
videos[2] of the course as taught at MIT.

  1. http://mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/
  2. http://groups.csail.mit.edu/mac/classes/6.001/abelson-sussman-lectures/

If not, I think "Teach Yourself Scheme in Fixnum days"[3] is quite good.
I think the six first chapters cover all the basics you need to develop
in Scheme, the rest is a mix between a few more advanced topics (wrt
basics, so it includes I/O and accessing files) and chapters that will
just blow you mind showing you what amazing stuff Lisp can do (that
most others can't).

  3. http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/dorai/t-y-scheme/t-y-scheme.html

And last but not least, although I never ded really inspect its content
beyond the very beginning, there's How To Design Programs[4], which
relies on DrRacket[5], a very nice IDE for Scheme and variants of the
language. For a beginner, DrRacket is a very good choice and provides a
debugger which really helps understand what is going on when Scheme code
runs (even for non beginners, it is probably the best Lisp debugger I
ever saw).

  4. http://www.htdp.org/
  5. http://racket-lang.org/

Actually, to get a first glimpse of what Scheme is, you can try Racket's
quick introduction[6], that makes you program with pictures.

  6. http://docs.racket-lang.org/quick/index.html

Alternatively,
Pierre
OpenPGP 0xD9D50D8A