Why does TextScript outside-staff-priority not work in this case?

From: James Lowe
Subject: Why does TextScript outside-staff-priority not work in this case?
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2011 11:48:37 +0000

Hello,

I am wanting to shift some \markups nearer to the staff and cannot
understand why setting the outside-staff-priority of TextScript is not
working in this case.

---

\version "2.13.51"

\relative c'' {
  R1*2
  \override TextScript #'outside-staff-priority = ##f
  a'1~->
  ^\markup \right-column { \sans "arco" } | a
}

---

The 'problem' markup is the '->' in that it seems to have a lot of
'boundary' space around it stopping the text from getting nearer. I could
move it below the staff but in my real-world example I have two voices and
that lower voice already has this mark so it cannot go anywhere but above
the staff, anyway I can get what I want with:

\version "2.13.51"

\relative c'' {
  R1*2
  \override TextScript #'outside-staff-priority = ##f
  a'1~->
  -\tweak #'X-offset #-2.5 -\tweak #'Y-offset #6 %% <--- add this line here
  ^\markup \right-column { \sans "arco" } | a
}

But that means I will have to go back and 'fiddle' right at the very end,
to get where I want once I have finished setting my music - and that
assumes I remember to do so!

I assumed - because I use outside-staff-priority trick for rehearsal marks
a lot - that this would be enough, but it doesn't seem to do anything. I
checked in the Learning Manual and does give examples of ^"mytext" as
TextScript (rather than just Text) so I think I have the grob right.

Hope everyone is having a lovely weekend.

James